Short day. Classic red onion! Very sweet, fine textured, 3-4" across. Ideal for slicing-making solid tasty, mild flavored slices! Vibrant, smooth, glossy red skins with a white & pink interior. Great keeper. Ideal for slicing. Perfect for sandwiches, soups, salads and cooking.
Pollination occurs by insect, bird, wind, humans, or other natural mechanisms. Because there are no restrictions on the flow of pollen between individuals, open-pollinated plants are more genetically diverse. However, as long as pollen is not shared between different varieties within the same species, then the seed produced will remain true-to-type year after year.
This variety has a history of being passed down within a family or community, similar to the generational sharing of certain items like jewelry or furniture.
VEGETABLE SEED AND PLANTING GUIDE
|Direct Seed (100 Ft.)||Distance Apart In Row After Thinning||Space Between Rows||Planting Depth|
* This is an estimated guide. Conditions may vary considerably due to location.
ESTIMATED DAYS TO MATURITY
APPROXIMATE SEED COUNT
- 9,000 per Oz.
- 144,000 per Lb.
- Cabbage Family
- Chamomile and summer savory improve growth and flavor
- Pigweed raises nutrients from subsoil and makes them available to the onions
- Sow thistle improves growth and health
- Onions stunt bean and pea