Classic American low acid tomato! An old favorite for canning, as its size is perfect for quartering and packing into quart jars. Beautiful, bright red 5-6" diameter, 6-8 oz fruits have an excellent fresh sweet tomato flavor. 3-5' tall plants produce high yields of thick-walled, meaty, firm, juicy, moderately smooth, deep oblate fruits and provide good foliar coverage to protect against sunburn. Perfect for salads, sandwiches and slicing. Resists cracking. Great Farmer's Market and processing variety.
Pollination occurs by insect, bird, wind, humans, or other natural mechanisms. Because there are no restrictions on the flow of pollen between individuals, open-pollinated plants are more genetically diverse. However, as long as pollen is not shared between different varieties within the same species, then the seed produced will remain true-to-type year after year.
Determinate types are relatively small and often referred to as bushy or compact. Each short branch ends in a flower cluster and the plant does most of its growing before any fruit are set. The tomatoes tend to ripen at once, usually over a short 2 to 3 week period. After most of the tomatoes are harvested the plant yellows and additional production is limited. If grown upright, the plants are seldom more than 2 - 3 feet tall.
VEGETABLE SEED AND PLANTING GUIDE
|Direct Seed (100 Ft.)||Distance Apart In Row After Thinning||Space Between Rows||Planting Depth|
* This is an estimated guide. Conditions may vary considerably due to location.
ESTIMATED DAYS TO MATURITY
APPROXIMATE SEED COUNT
- 11,500 per Oz.
- 184,000 per Lb.
DISEASE RESISTANCE OR TOLERANCE
Alternaria Stem Canker
- Basil repels flies and mosquitos, improves growth and flavor
- Bee Balm, chives and mint improve health and flavor
- Borage deters tomato worm, improves growth and flavor
- Dill (until mature) improves growth and flavor, but once mature, it stunts tomato growth
- Marigold deters nematodes
- Pot marigold deters tomato worm and general garden pests
- Corn and tomato are attacked by the same worm
- Mature dill retards tomato growth
- Kohlrabi stunts tomato growth
- Potatoes and tomatoes are attacked by the same blight